Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Darkness & Silence

I have never experienced an involuntary electric cut of this length. The hour meter counts 66+hours without electricity, this also means 66+hours without running water. All sorts of Scrum problems start to look a little smaller in this moment. Lucky me, all our trees are still standing and nobody of my family got injured during that worst storm of the decade. For all those electric & water problems, I found solutions. And now back to Scrum Managing – sorry Mastering ;)
Today I started my series of interviews about goals (targets) – extremely interesting. Just ask which problem you want to hear about, and most likely I can give you an example. Goal conflicts and all sorts of other mismatches confirm the picture I draw already. Hey – I am an Agile Coach, working as a Scrum Master – what a GREAT coaching opportunity this is! More about this topic in a few weeks.
And I seem to do something right as, today for the first time, I got pulled aside from one of my Scrum Master colleagues as she was in the search of answers to his questions. She asked about to extend the daily scrum so that he can exchange important (in his mind) information to the team. I acknowledge that the information appears important, yet I questioned whether this is the job of the SM (please note that a typical SM in this organization does have multiple roles). It comes back to my previous post about the different POVs. There is a problem and the SM has her own POV and thus promotes a solution in alignment with her POV (i.e., to extend the daily scrum). This is one out of many solutions, often not the best one and most likely not one which will lead to commitment – it rather leads to compliance. We agreed that sticky change i.e., coming from commitment is what would be better.
We continued the discussion about motivation for oneself and what drives people. And I recommended to read Dan Pink's book DRIVE related to motivation – this might be an eye opener also for your private life. In short, Dan created a ”motivation 3.0” model in which he suggests that people are motivated by three factors: Purpose, Mastery and Autonomy. Check it out at www.danpink.com and you will find two video clips (one animated and one from TED talks) and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment